Sunday 26 June 2011

You Can't Always Get What You Want

In most sports (or life in general) things don't always work out the way you would like them to. Everyone has their "day" and it can be outstanding or it can go horribly wrong depending on a number of factors. For my 800m finals on Saturday, it was not my day. 

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pull through like I thought I would in the end. At National Championships, races can go out to win or they can go out to run fast. My race went out to win; therefore, the pace was very slow right from the beginning. We got out hard for the first 100m and then the breaks were put on. We were 64 seconds through 400m which is quite slow; usually we are between 59-61 seconds. The pace started to pick up again with 400m left and again slowed, but with 200m left everyone started to kick- including me. I was sitting in about 3rd or 4th position on the outside of the pack. I started to pick up speed so did everyone else and unfortunately I didn't have enough gas left in my tank to carry my kick to the finish line. I ended up 8th in the final with a time of 2:06.9. 1st place was 2:05. 

These are the races you learn from. Every race is a new experience and you can't control everything that happens. Stuff happens and I've learned from past experience that you need to keep your head high and keep looking forward. I have 2 more races to run while in the West. I still have every opportunity to better my personal best of 2:03.9 and these races are known to be fast. I will race again on Friday in Vancouver at the Harry Jerome Track Classic, and on Sunday in Victoria and the Victoria International. 

Better gear up and get ready for those because my season isn't over yet- MUCH more to come!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment