Wednesday 15 June 2011

INDY 800

Last Friday, a few team members and I travelled to Indianapolis, Indiana for the American Milers High Performance Series. This meet is known to produce some fast results and some good competition. Last year I came to this meet and ran a personal best…this year I ALSO ran another personal best 2:03.96 the 2:04 barrier has been broken and I’m very excited about it. It’s a positive boost into nationals which will be occurring a week from today, June 22, in Calgary, Alberta.


A fellow team mate of mine, Andrina, was the rabbit for 400m of the race. She took us through our first 400m in 59, which was right on target. I was sitting behind another strong competitor, I knew she would be able to work the pace from 400-600 and that’s really where I need to concentrate on improving. We went through 600 in 1:31 and from other race experiences, this is the fastest I have been through 600 (in an 800). I could really tell we worked hard to get to 600 because I found it difficult coming home; usually I have a little more juice left in my legs to carry me to the finish line, but I was really working hard to move my arms and stay relaxed. It all turned out well with a new personal best.
I am racing again tonight, but it will be a 400m. I have already attained FISU standard twice now and need to finish in the top 2 of those declared for FISU at Nationals next week. My coach Dennis and I have decided that a few off races, like the 400m tonight, are important during the season as it's a change of pace for an athlete and gives you a little break from focusing JUST on the 800m.
I have posted the link below to my race, so feel free to watch.
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment