Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Valley

Growing up in Eganville, Ontario, or as we like to call it “The Valley”, I was always involved in some type of sport; hockey, volley-ball, basketball,  but it wasn’t until I joined the Pembroke Soccer Club  and my coach, Dr. Mike O’Grady made it very clear to me that I could run. He suggested I try out track and field. Throughout elementary school I did track and field; however, just before high school I decided to take running seriously and travel 2 hours each way to Ottawa to train with the Ottawa Lions. I would practice three to four times a week and my parents graciously drove me every time; sometimes Grandma and Grandpa too.
In my last year at Opeongo High School, I decided that it was time to take the next step in track and move to Ottawa to train full time. I would sacrifice my friends, school teams, and most importantly my last year of OFSAA. With a bit of luck on my side, I was fortunate to have a former training partner, Ms. Anne, take me under her wing by allowing me to stay with her. She treated me like her own; she fed me, got me to school on time (occasionally writing me notes to explain odd absences) and everyday made sure I was never late for practice. Till this day I am grateful, for Anne
Six years later, after some injuries, numerous practices, long drives, and a lot of success, I find myself at the University of Windsor. It wasn’t until I came here, that I realised how much I enjoyed track and field and the opportunities that were available as an athlete. I was a Windsor Lancer for 4 years and accomplished many things…3 National Championship titles, 3 school records, and numerous OUA and CIS medals. Among being a Lancer, I still compete for the Ottawa Lions during the outdoor season. Deciding to come to Windsor was possibly the best decision I could have made to better my running; the program, and my coach Dennis Fairall, have helped me to gain positions on 2 National teams. In 2009 I travelled to Beirut, Lebanon to compete for Canada in the 800m at the Francophone Games. Following that, in 2010 I competed at the North America Central America and the Caribbean (NACAC) Championships in Miramar, Florida.
After graduating with a Bachelor of Human Kinetics and my Bachelor of Education I find myself competing for ME again. This is as solo as it gets. There is no team huddles before a race, or a cheer to pump you up- it’s just me and the track.
I’m really looking forward to this summer. Our schedule has never been busier than this year, and it’s an opportunity to gather some great racing experience and excellent competition. The season has been going great so far; I ran a season’s best of 2:04.8 at our home meet 3 weeks ago… my personal best is 2:04.1 so I know I’m not far off; a few hot races and I should be in business.
So stay tuned for some updates!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment