Sunday 3 July 2011

Hard Work Pays Off!

NEW 800m PB! 2:02.69 and I'm very excited about it. 
Coming off of Nationals I was finding it tough mentally to wrap my head around another race. The workouts I did between Nationals and Harry Jerome were great, but my body wasn't feeling great. In my head I was convinced I was tired and that my legs were heavy. I knew it was all mental because the times were fast in my workouts. 

We travelled to Vancouver Tuesday, June 28 after Nationals and on Friday, July 1st we raced the Harry Jerome International. It was a very good field in the 800m, all of the finalist at Nationals were in the race plus a few others from the USA. The race was great, I was at the back of the pack through 500m and that was when I realized that I needed to make up some ground as I was far off of the lead pack. I moved and moved hard, I had people to chase down and I love chasing. I crossed the line in 2:02.69....my new personal best.
The next day we hopped on a ferry to Victoria and arrived late afternoon. I had a competition warm up and was really needing an ice bath. Luckily we are about a 10min walk from the ocean and it's freezing! So me and a few other teammates jumped in there for an ice bath. I raced again today at the Victoria International and it felt GREAT! I have not felt that good in a race, especially in the last 300m, as I did today. To top it off, the time was good too. 2:02.92, not a pb but a good two races in three days. I can't wait to run again in Toronto on July 14th!
We are returning back to Windsor tomorrow and will have about a week and half to get some good training in and then its race time again! 
I'm very pleased with how the West-Coast Trip went this year; obviously achieving a new personal best is a goal every year. But, feeling as good as I did today is the cherry on top. Links to my races are posted below!
Stay tuned for more!

Harry Jerome International Track Classic: http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/238919-Harry-Jerome-International-Track-Classic-2011/video/498832-W-800-F02-Lemlem-Ogbasilassie-20123 

Victoria International:  http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/238935-Victoria-International-Track-Classic-2011/video/499033-W-800-F01-Invite-Smith-202

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment